The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the Love of God. Its mission is to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name, without discrimination.

About The Salvation Army

ABOUT THE SALVATION ARMY

 

Bartenders and saloon owners did not look kindly on these aggressive Salvationists who preached against the evils of drink and other depravities, often doing so on their very doorsteps. Conservative, church-going businessmen found the Salvationists’ noisy methods and non-conforming manner unsettling, to say the least.

 

Their terms militant, their objections single-minded, the Salvationists resolved to “open fire on the …powers of darkness” and they did just that — on the corner of Sycamore and 4th streets. . . at first, they faced violent opposition.

 

As time went by,  Santa Ana Salvationists  established themselves as forces for good. By February 1924, they were celebrating their newly constructed building at 214 North Sycamore. They had gained the respect of the community - in large part due to relief work during the Depression and then major floods. A thriving Advisory Board, numerous service clubs and civic organizations joined the Army in celebrating its new location.

 

The next 30 years brought dramatic changes to Southern California with colossal population increases in the basin.

During this period the Army “opened fire” in Anaheim and established a Hospitality House, providing relief and refuge

for the homeless. In 1959, the Army also provided alcohol rehabilitation at a center on 4th and French in Santa Ana.

 

As the needs of the community placed further demands on the Army’s social services, growth was also taking place in the corps’ church membership. On October 4, 1970, the Santa Ana Corps said farewell to their downtown Sycamore location and begin operating in their new headquarters at 1710 W. Edinger Avenue. To meet the emerging needs of local youth and families, community centers were added in Santa Ana and Anaheim.

 

The Army’s work continued to grow with development of a Hispanic Ministry in 1982 and the construction of a new

Anaheim Adult Rehabilitation Center in 1986, offering facilities for men’s and, later, women’s programs. Expansion

continued with the opening of PraiseWorks contemporary ministry and Social Services offices throughout the county.

 

In the 1990’s, as Bible studies and the Hispanic Ministry flourished, plans were laid for expansion to Tustin Ranch.

On May 15, 1994, the Santa Ana Citadel Corps left Edinger and Salvation Way, allowing the Santa Ana Temple

Hispanic Ministry to take over that complex.

 

The Salvation Army Tustin Ranch facility at 10200 Pioneer Road, with its Henley Youth Center, Creator’s Corner
Pre-School, and full complement of Corps programs honors the tradition of those fearless Salvation Army pioneers who braved many challenges to “win the West for God” 125 years ago.

 

God is Faithful and has provided His blessing through time, no matter the circumstances, no matter the address.